Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

Cherry Limeade


It was a scorcher here the other day.  We decided to have a cookout in order to keep the house cool.  To go with our cookout, I made some Cherry Limeade.    My kids have loved this beverage ever since they got their first taste of Sonic Cherry Limeade.   Over the years I have changed this recipe and have finally settled on a version that the family loves.

I start out by pitting and cutting in halves a pound and a half of fresh cherries.  I put them in a saucepan with some water, chopped mint, grated lime zest, and some sugar.




I bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer the cherry mixture for about 20 minutes or until the cherries are soft.   I remove the mixture from the stove and let them cool.

Once the cherries are cool, I process them in a blender.  I strain the cherries over a large bowl and pour the juice into a large pitcher.  To the pitcher, I add lime juice, chia seeds that have been soaked in water,  and the remaining water.  I then stir and serve over ice.  A wonderfully refreshing beverage for a hot summer day.   Enjoy:)

Cherry Limeade


Ingredients:
1 1/2 pound cherries, washed, pitted, and sliced in half
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
1 cup sugar
4 cups water, divided
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 cup lime juice

Directions:
1. Place cherries, chopped mint, grated lime zest, sugar and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until cherries are soft.
2. Remove cherries from heat and cool.  Soak chia seeds in 1 cup of water for at least 30 minutes.
3. Process the cherry mixture in a blender until smooth.  
4. Strain the mixture over a large bowl.  Discard the pulp.  Pour the juice into a large pitcher.  Add the chia seeds, lime juice, and remaining water.  Stir and serve.


Makes 2 quarts





3 comments:

  1. I know to come here when I want a good cherry recipe! Your kids definitely know what's good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geraldine, that sounds like such a refreshing and wonderfully delicious recipe!
    Cherries are my very favorite stone fruits of all times!

    ReplyDelete