No need to bring out the mixer for this recipe. Everything is mixed together by hand in two mixing bowls. In the first bowl, you put your eggs, olive oil, sugar, grated zucchini, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Mix well. The next bowl contains your dry ingredients plus your chopped pecans. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and pour into two loaf pans that have been sprayed with some Baker's Joy.
Bake the loaves for about 50-60 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. cool and slice.
This bread comes out moist and the crust has a very slight crackle to it. This bread is great plain, with butter, jam, peanut butter, cookie butter - whatever you prefer.
1 cup olive oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
Baker's Joy or similar product
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 8x4 inch loaf pans with Baker's Joy or similar product. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in the olive oil and sugar. Add the zucchini, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the pecans and mix.
4. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Mix well. Divide the batter into the prepared pans.
5. Bake loaves for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool loaves in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Store loaves in a Zip Lock bag to retain freshness.
Makes 2 loaves