Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Strawberry Milk


Strawberry Milk
 
When I was a kid, I used to love all different flavors of milk - vanilla, banana, strawberry, and of course chocolate.   I used some type of powder to flavor my milk in those days.  Fast forward a few years - today I made some Strawberry milk using fresh strawberries.  I found this recipe in "Southern Living" magazine.   I modified the recipe a bit.  Instead of using whole milk, I used some Vanilla Soy Milk.  Being that the soy milk had vanilla flavoring, I omitted the vanilla extract.  Wow -what a difference the fresh strawberries  made to this delicious and refreshing beverage.  The kids even tasted the difference and loved it.

This beverage is easy and quick to make.  In fact, you can make it ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge.  Start by hulling one quart of fresh strawberries and pureeing them in a blender with some sugar.  The recipe calls for  3-4 tablespoons sugar.  I started with 2 tablespoons, tasted, and added a little more.  Sweeten to your taste.  Strain the puree until all you have left is pulp.  Add just a pinch of salt to the strawberries and stir.  Add the strawberries to 4 cups of vanilla soy milk.  Stir and chill for one hour before serving.    Pour in glasses and serve.


The result is MMMM delicious:)


Strawberry Milk
Adapted From Southern Living Magazine

Ingredients:

1 - quart fresh strawberries hulled
3-4 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt
4 cups Vanilla Soy Milk

Directions:
1. Process the strawberries in a blender with sugar.  Scrape down the sides if needed. Process the strawberries in batches, if needed.
2. Press the strawberries through a wire-mesh strainer  with the back of a spoon into a medium bowl.      Discard the pulp.












3. Stir in a pinch of salt into the strawberries.  Taste and add more sugar if needed.   In a pitcher add the 4 cups Vanilla Soy Milk.
4. Stir the strawberries into the soy milk.  Chill for 1 hour before serving.
5. Pour into glasses and serve.

Make 6 cups








1 comment:

  1. Hi Geraldine!
    Do you remember those flavor straws? You put them in the milk and it not only changed the color but the flavor too. We didn't have them often but when we did, my sisters and I had such fun!

    I'm so glad we are now "advanced" enough to know all we need to do is add the strawberries and blend those tasty bites right into the milk; no artificial flavoring:) Thanks for sharing, Geraldine...

    ReplyDelete