The result: To me the taste was interesting. Wasn't bad - but not a favorite. The kids on the other hand loved them. Tim thought the pickles were awesome. OK, it is decided, Fried Pickles it is for Super Bowl Sunday.
From Family Circle Magazine
3 cups vegetable oil
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1 jar (32 ounce) dill pickles
Bottled ranch dressing
1. Heat oil in a deep pot over medium heat until it registers 370 degrees to 375 degrees on a deep-fat fry thermometer.
2. Mix cornmeal, 1/3 cup of the flour, the pepper, cayenne and salt in a large resealable plastic bag.
4. Cut pickles into spears (about 8 per pickle). Blot dry on paper towels and toss in a bowl with remaining 1/2 cup flour.
5. Dip 8 to 10 spears in egg mixture, then add to bag with cornmeal mixture. Shake to coat pickles. Spread spears onto a rack and continue with all spears ( in batches of 8 to 10).
6. Fry one batch of pickles for 3 minutes until golden. Transfer to a paper towel and repeat with all batches, returning oil to 375 degrees before adding each batch. Serve with ranch dressing.
Makes 16 servings