Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Slow Cooked Pot Roast

Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Pot Roast is one of those comfort foods/stick to your ribs meal. Add some mashed potatoes and gravy and I am one happy eater. As I was growing up, my mother used to make pot roast once a week with carrots and potatoes.  She cooked her roasts and veggies on the stove top in a Dutch Oven.  It was one of my favorite meals she made.
Today, I carry on my own tradition of the Pot Roast Meal.   Being that I am usually running around, I put my roast in a slow cooker in the morning turn it on low and let it cook.  I do not cook my veggies in the crock pot with the meat.  I cook them separately. Usually, I serve mashed potatoes and gravy with the pot roast.
In this recipe, I used a 3 1/2 -4 pound eye of round roast.  I set  it on a bed of finely chopped onions, carrots, and celery.  Add 1/4 cup beef broth and a bay leaf.  Set it on low and let it cook for 6-8 hours. The result is moist, tender, and flavorful slice of roast. I love the flavor and texture of the beef from slow cooking.  Serve with mashed potatoes and veggies, if you desire. Perfect for a  weekday family meal or a Sunday Dinner.




Slow Cooked Pot Roast


Special Equipment: Crock Pot

Ingredients:

1 (3 ½-4 pound) Eye of Round Beef Roast
Ground Black Pepper
Olive Oil
¼ cup beef broth/stock
1 bay leaf
¼ cup finely chopped onions
¼ cup finely chopped carrots
¼ cup finely chopped celery

Directions:

1. Wipe the roast with a damp paper towel.  Sprinkle the roast generously with black pepper.
2. In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Brown the roast on all sides.
3.Pour the beef broth or broth into the crock pot.  Add the bay leaf.
4. Spoon the onions, carrots, and celery in the bottom of the crock-pot.
5. Place the roast on top of the veggies.  Cover and set crock-pot on low.  Cook for 6-8 hours.  Slice and serve.


Makes 6 servings









2 comments:

  1. That dish sounds delicious, especially with the mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm…I love pot roast! I haven’t made one in years…you have just inspired me. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete