Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Syrup

Pumpkin Spice Syrup
It's autumn - my favorite time of  year:)  One of my favorite  beverages comes this time of year  -  Pumpkin Spice Latte.  This year, I decided instead of spending a small fortune at Starbucks I was  going to make my own - I'm going DIY (do it yourself). In researching various latte recipes, I decided I  wanted to use a syrup instead of pumpkin puree.  I felt the syrup would give it a better flavor.     To make a great tasting latte, I needed a great tasting pumpkin syrup.  The quest for a syrup recipe  began.  To my delight, I found a copy cat recipe for Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Syrup.  This syrup is very easy to make and one you can use not only in lattes but for tea, pouring it over pound cake, pancakes,  waffles, and french toast.  The possibilities are almost endless.
To begin making the syrup, you heat water and sugar until the sugar dissolves.  You then add fragrant spices - cinnamon, ginger, clovers,  and nutmeg.  To this mixture you add the pumpkin puree and simmer for 8 minutes.  Strain and cool.  The syrup can last up to one month in a tightly closed jar.
I sampled a taste of the syrup and it was wonderful.  The syrup has a sweet spicy taste with  a mellow pumpkin flavor.

Future Blog Post October 10, 2012:  Pumpkin Spice Latte

Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Syrup
Copycat Recipe Guide
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoon pumpkin puree

Directions:

1. Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan.
2. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.

3. Add the spices and the pumpkin and continue to simmer for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.  Do not boil.

4. Remove from heat and strain the syrup twice through a fine mesh strainer.

5. Allow the syrup to cool, then refrigerate the syrup in a tightly closed jar for up to a month.


Pure Goodness





1 comment: