Adapted From Alton Brown
Special Equipment: Crock Pot
Special Instructions: Meat needs to marinate for 3 days
2 cups water
1-cup cider vinegar
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 medium onion coarsely chopped
1-cup carrots sliced
1-tablespoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
6 whole cloves
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 (3-3 ½ pound) boneless beef round rump roast
1-tablespoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup crushed gingersnaps
1. In a large saucepan add water, vinegars, onion, carrots, salt, black pepper, bay leaves, cloves and mustard seeds. Cover and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Pat the roast dry and rub with vegetable oil. Salt all sides of the roast.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat and brown on all sides.
4.Place meat in the crock of the crock-pot. Pout the marinade over the meat and place in the refrigerator for 3 days. If the meat is not completely submerged in the marinade, turn it once a day.
5. After 3 days add the sugar to the meat and marinade. Cook roast on low for 8-10 hours.
6. Remove meat from crock-pot (oven) and keep it warm. Strain the liquid. Discard the solids.
7. In a medium saucepan, place the liquid and heat over medium-high heat. Whisk in the crushed gingersnaps. Cook until the sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
8. Strain the sauce. Slice the roast and serve with sauce.
Makes 6 servings
Note: To cook in Oven: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Cover meat and place on the middle rack of the oven and cook until tender, about 4 hours. Continue to step 6.