Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Lentil and Couscous Salad with Mint

Every summer, I try new ideas for salads.  I truly enjoy a salad during the hot days of summer.  They are light and refreshing.  I found this salad recipe in Country Living using lentils and couscous.  Pearl couscous  (aka Israeli couscous) is used instead of the traditional couscous.  This type of couscous is much larger than the traditional couscous but it is similar in flavor.   It adds a nice chewy texture to the salad. Add tomatoes, mint, scallions,  toss in a tangy mustard vinaigrette and you have a delicious salad.



Lentil and Couscous Salad with Mint
From Country Living

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons cider vinegar
4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
Salt to taste
1 1/3 cups French lentils (cooked, drained, and cooled)
1 cup pearl couscous (cooked, drained, and cooled)
3/4 cup chopped mint
4 scallions (white part only, sliced)
3 plum tomatoes (seeded and chopped)

Directions:

1. Whisk the vinegar, mustard, olive oil, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Add salt to taste and set aside.
2. Place the lentils, couscous, mint, scallions, and tomatoes in a large bowl.
3. Add the dressing to the lentil mixture and toss.
4.  Serve at room temperature.


Pearl Couscous






3 comments:

  1. Geri, Looks delicious! I love lentils and couscous…I would just love this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pearl couscous is new to me, I never knew there was another size/kind! This salad does have some great elements and is quite unique. I am sure I would enjoy it-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lentil salad with pearl couscous looks delightful and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete