Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Banana Strawberry Bread

I had some very overripe bananas and a few strawberries so I decided to combine the two into a flavorful quick bread.  I made the loaf like I usually make banana bread- bananas, flour, sugar, eggs, all the common ingredients  typically used with two exceptions - strawberries and oat flour.     No spices were added.  The rich flavor came mostly from the fruit.   This bread has more banana flavor than strawberry, but you get wonderful  bursts of strawberry flavor  as you are eating a slice.  This bread is delicious warm with butter or cream cheese or just sliced straight from the loaf.  My kids like to make Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches with this bread.


                                               





My Bunch of Bananas









Banana Strawberry Bread


Ingredients:

3 overripe bananas
1-cup sugar
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1-cup sugar
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3-cup oat flour
1-teaspoon baking soda
1-teaspoon salt


2 large eggs
1-teaspoon vanilla extract
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

1. Position rack in center of oven.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray a 9x5x2-1/2-inch loaf pan with Bakers Joy or similar product. Or line the baking pan with foil and spray with Baker's Joy or similar product.   Set aside.
3. Place the bananas and sugar in a medium bowl.  Mash bananas with a potato masher until smooth.



Mashed Bananas and Sugar




4. Place strawberries in a food processor and puree.  Add the puree to the banana mixture and stir until well combined.
Banana Strawberry Mixture

5. Whisk together in a medium bowl the all-purpose flour, oat flour, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.


Flour Mixture



6. Whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract together in a medium bowl.  Slowly whisk in butter and continue whisking until combined.


Eggs and Butter Combined
7. Add the banana strawberry mixture to the egg mixture.  Stir until well combined.
8. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture.  Mix well.
9. Fold in the nuts.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle come out relatively clean.




10. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan.  Remove from pan and place on a rack to cool.  Cool completely before slicing.
11.  Wrap the bread tightly when storing.


Makes 1 loaf











7 comments:

  1. I love banana breads, and it's great that we don't have to toss out over-riped bananas. I would too make banana bread with left over bananas, or freeze them in a zip lock bag; whenever I have a craving for a banana strawberry smoothie. This combo of your baked treat is making me crave for a cool power smoothie. LOL.. have a good week ahead,xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking bread! I bet it’s delicious with the addition of strawberries…yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Gerri, I´m coming from Jay´s blog, I think we share recipes from Southern CA, am I right? I love this bread you´ve done, come and see my 5 de Mayo bread. It would be nice to share our recipes. Best regards,
    Myriam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes fruits do taste better in baked goods without spices. That way they natural taste stands alone-which is a good thing when it comes to fruit. I like the strawberry/banana combo, I am sure it makes for one delicious slice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I never thought of adding strawberries to my banana bread...yummy idea, Geri!! Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this! I had some week out strawberries and bananas I didn't want to throw away and I thought why not combined them in a bread! Came out perfect according to your directions. So yummy that my family ate it out the next day lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you and your family enjoyed the bread:)

      Delete