Last night, I made Sloppy Joes for dinner. My husband was going to a business dinner so it was me and the kids. Sloppy Joes is one of their favorite meals. I like them because they are quick, easy and require little clean up ( I had a busy day and was tired). I start out with browned ground beef then add onions, garlic, green chili, some ketchup and spices. Serve on a toasted hamburger bun and you have one great tasting sandwich for both kids and adults.
1-tablespoon olive oil
1-pound Ground Beef
1/3 cup diced onion
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chili
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup beef broth or water
¼ cup chili sauce
1-teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
6 Hamburger Buns
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add the ground beef and brown. Drain fat.
2. Add the onion to the ground beef and cook until the onion is soft.
3. Add the garlic and green chili to the beef mixture. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add ketchup, beef broth or water, chili sauce, chili powder, salt, cumin, pepper flakes, and ground black pepper to the meat mixture. Stir and combine well. Simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
5. Spread butter on the hamburger buns and brown on a skillet.
6. Spoon Sloppy Joe mixture on the hamburger buns and serve.
Makes 6 servings
Piece of Trivia: The original Sloppy Joe sandwich was made by a cook named Joe at a cafe in Sioux City, Iowa.