Today, I made some granola bars. These granola bars are great for a quick breakfast, snack, or lunch treat. They have lots of goodness baked in them - oatmeal, dried cherries, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and wheat germ. These granola bars have a nice chewy nutty texture to them.
In addition to tasting good, you are getting antioxidants, folic acid, Vitamin E, and zinc. Just to name a few good minerals and vitamins for your body.
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 ½ cups quick cooking oats
1 cup puffed brown rice cereal
½ cup toasted wheat germ
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup hulled pumpkin seeds
1 cup chopped dried cherries
½ cup butter at room temperature
1-cup pack brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1-teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Whisk together the flour, backing powder, salt and ground cinnamon in a medium-mixing bowl.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, puffed brown rice cereal, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and dried cherries. Stir well .
4. In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and the sugars.
5. Add the egg to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
6. Add the honey and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
7. Add the flour mixture to the butter a little at a time mixing well.
8. Stir in the nut and fruit mixture. Stir until combined.
9. Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the top is lightly brown and set.
11. Cool and cut into bars.
Yields 24 bars
|Ready for Oven|
|Out Of Oven|