I have become a great fan of cooking with lavender. It gives a pleasant exotic flavor to foods.
The flowers are what are used primarily in cooking. When cooking with lavender be sure you use culinary lavender.
In coming up with a recipe for lavender scones, I started out using a little lavender and then adding more with each recipe iteration. Too much lavender can be overpowering.
Creamy Lavender Scones
2 cups all purpose flour
1-tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg
¾ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons dried culinary lavender
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
|Butter Incorporated into the Flour|
3. Beat together the egg and heavy cream in a small mixing bowl.
4. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Combine with a fork until evenly moistened.
5. Add the lemon zest and lavender and stir until combined.
6.Gather the dough into a ball, a while still in the bowl, gently knead the dough 8-10 strokes.
7. Drop the dough by a ¼ cup full onto the parchment paper line baking sheet. Space the scones about 2 inches apart.
8. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until the scones are golden and firm to the touch. Cool for 10 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool.
9. Store in an airtight container.
|Egg and Cream Beaten Together|
|Well Combined Dough|
|Ready for Oven|
|Creamy Lavender Scone|