Peppermint Sugar Cookies
2 ½ cups all – purpose flour
1-teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1-teaspoon peppermint extract
½ cup crushed peppermint candy canes or peppermint candy
¼ cup powdered sugar
1. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. Place butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until light in color.
3. Beat the egg and egg yolk in a small bowl.
4. Add egg mixture, milk, and peppermint extract to the butter mixture. Beat until combined.
5. Reduce speed on mixer and add flour mixture a small amount at a time. Do not add more flour until previous flour mixture has been incorporated.
6. Stir crushed candies into the dough.
7. Gather the dough and form into a ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
8. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
9. Position rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
10. Pour the ¼ cup of powdered sugar on a plate. Scoop out one tablespoon of dough and form it into a ball. Roll the ball in the powdered sugar and place on the prepared sheet. Leave about a 2-inch space between cookies.
11. Using tines of a fork flatten the cookies forming a crosshatch pattern.
12. Bake the cookies for 12-13 minutes rotating the pan halfway through the baking time. The cookies should be lightly colored.
13. Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
14. Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
|Measuring Out Dough|
|Rolled Into Ball|
|Step 1: Crosshatch|
|Step 2: Crosshatch|