Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Guacamole: A Classic

Guacamole and Chips
My love for guacamole started out as a kid.  My parents and I would eat out about twice a month at this great little home operated New Mexican Restaurant .  They served the best guacamole ever.  I loved its rich avocado taste, the texture,  and mild spiciness.  
Back then, I ate my guacamole with tortilla chips.  Today, I put guacamole on my turkey sandwiches,  hamburgers,  tacos , and anything else I feel needs it.

When making guacamole, be sure your avocados are ripe.   The avocados are ripe if there is a little give when you gently press the outside of the avocado. If you use them when they are green, they are hard to mash and do not have a good flavor.  In choosing the tomatoes,  I like to use Roma tomatoes because they are meatier and have a lower moisture content than other varieties.  

When storing your guacamole, cover it with plastic wrap.  Place the plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture so no air gets to it.





                                             Guacamole



Ingredients:

3 Haas avocados, halved and seeded
1-tablespoon lemon juice
1-teaspoon garlic salt
1-teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced


Directions:
Avocado Halves

1. Scoop the flesh of the avocados using a spoon into a large bowl.
2. Toss the avocado flesh with the lemon juice.
3. Mash the avocados with a potato masher.
4. Add the garlic salt, onion powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder and sea salt to the mashed avocados.  Stir gently until mixed.
5.  Fold in the diced tomatoes.*
6.  Serve at room temperature.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate any leftovers.
*Note: If you are not going to serve the guacamole right away, do not add the tomatoes.  Refrigerate the dip and add the tomatoes before serving.

Yields 2 cups


Diced Tomatoes
 I was at Costco and the chips sounded and looked so good I could not resist



No comments:

Post a Comment