Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Best Onion Strings Ever

 The other day I found a great recipe for Onion Strings.  It was on the "The Pioneer Woman Cooks"  blog.   I made some and they were simple delicious.   I used them for on our Green Chili Cheeseburgers.  Never have I tasted such a good burger.  

Onion Strings
From Pioneer Woman Cooks

Ingredients:
1 whole large onion
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon(scant) salt
1/4 teaspoon (to 1/2 teaspoon) cayenne pepper
1 quart (to 2 quarts) canola oil
Black pepper to taste

Directions.
1.  Slice onion very thin.  Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk and soak for at least an hour.
2. Combine dry ingredients and set aside
3.  Heat oil to 375 degrees
4. Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to  shake off excess, and plunge into hot oil.    Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown to a plate with paper towels.
5. Repeat until all onions have been cooked.

I made another batch of these and I used one teaspoon Southwestern Chipotle Seasoning instead of the Cayenne pepper and reduced the salt to two teaspoons.  MMM good:)

I can't wait to try these onion strings for topping my Macaroni and Cheese, Tuna Casserole,  and Green Bean Casserole.


They are also great for snacking.

Sliced Onions


Sliced Onions In Baking Dish

Sliced Onions In Buttermilk

Flour, Salt, Southwestern Chipotle Seasoning, Black Pepper

Heating Oil

Onion Slices In Flour Mixture




Coating the Onions



Tasty Result

No comments:

Post a Comment